things on my mind lately:
1) I'm not really a baseball fan, but it's hard to live in New England and not absorb some of the unbridled joy that has infused this region since the Red Sox won the American League championship Wednesday night. People around here are passionate about this stuff and have been waiting a long time for the Sox to get this far. The possibility that they might even win the World Series for the first time since 1918 seems to be right up there with the second coming of Jeebus Chrikey.
2) None of point 1 excuses the insane orgy of drunken destruction that occurred during the riots around Fenway Park after Wednesdays game. Flipping cars, setting them on fire, trying to toss trash cans through bank windows, and throwing bottles at cops is not the way to celebrate a victory. As it turns out, it IS a good way to get heavy fines and to probably be expelled from whatever area college you happen to attend, thanks to the post-DNC surveillance cameras that were mounted all around the ball park.
3) None of point 2 excuses the irresponsible use of "less lethal" weapons by some Boston Police Officers, resulting in the death of a 21 year old girl.. I understand that they were trying to control a riot, but firing pepper spray loaded hard plastic pellets randomly into a crowd at head level is just foolish. According to the papers, the Boston Police Department takes full responsibility for the girl's death, and the officers involved are personally devastated. Maybe this will result in a re-examination of how they use they "less lethal" methods. Apparently they aren't all that much "less lethal.."
1) We got real furniture delivered on Wednesday. An actual (non-salvation army) couch and love seat set. Very comfy! The cats seem to like snoozing on them. One of these days, Liz and I will actually have time to enjoy them.
2) Salem Halloween should be kicking in to high gear this weekend. That probably means I won't be going downtown very much. S'okay. This weekend the rock stars are coming through Boston, so we'll probably be in the Big City hanging out with them. Next weekend we'll indulge in the hard core Salem craziness at our friend Leo's party down near Pickering Wharf.. Should be pretty whacky. Close to all the Haunted Happenings events, but with a nice fire in the backyard to keep warm. That should be rocking good fun.